How can I remove contacts as a result of workflow?
You can remove your contacts when you use the Remove contact action. The element can perform four types of removal:
- from one or more campaigns
- from a current campaign and the workflow
- from the entire account
- from an autoresponder cycle in a given campaign or campaigns.
You can use this element to manage your contact lists. For example, you can remove your contacts from a campaign when they subscribe to another one. This way you can make sure that your contacts are in the campaign that best fits their needs and your marketing strategies.
Selecting the current campaign and workflow setting results in a broader action. It removes your contacts from whatever campaign or campaigns they’re in when they reach this element as well as the workflow itself. Use the entire account setting to remove the contacts from all your lists.
You can also use Remove contact to stop your contacts from receiving autoresponder messages. For example, you can remove them from an autoresponders cycle in a given campaign when they subscribe to another one. This way the contacts remain in the original campaign but are no longer receiving autoresponders in that campaign. You can choose whether you’d like to remove them from autoresponders in one or more campaigns.
How do I set up Remove contact?
Before you start
Remember that removing contacts from all the campaigns they’re in effectively removes them from your account. If you choose to remove them from specific campaigns, make sure you have them in other campaigns as well. You can keep the following rules in mind when setting up the element:
- Contacts in 1 campaign only + Remove from a specific campaign = Contacts removed from your account.
- Contacts in 1 campaign only + remove from a current campaign and workflow = Contacts removed from your account.
- Contacts in 2 or more campaigns + Remove from a specific campaign = Contacts removed from the campaign you specified. The contacts remain in the other campaigns.
- Contacts in 2 or more campaigns + Remove from a current campaign and workflow = two possible results, depending on how the workflow works:
Contacts removed from a campaign or campaigns they’re in when they reach this element in the workflow. They remain in their other campaigns in your account.
Contacts removed from account if Remove contact removes them from all campaigns they were in. This can happen when you start your workflow with multiple conditions that your contact can meet in different campaigns.
To use the element in the workflow:
- Go to Automation>>Create a workflow (or take a shortcut to open the workflow creator). Add a condition element to start building the workflow.
- When you decide you need to use the Remove contact action, select the element to add it to the workspace.
- Open Properties to set up the action. Select the option that best fits your needs:
- To remove your contacts from one or more campaigns, select Campaigns from the first drop-down list. Next, expand the Campaign list and choose the campaign or campaigns.
- To remove your contacts from an autoresponder cycle in one or more campaigns, select Autoresponder cycle from the drop-down list. Next, expand the Campaign list and choose the campaign or campaigns.
- To remove the contacts from all your lists, select Entire account. Note: This element has no bottom connector because the contacts are no longer in your account. They can’t advance to any further element.
- To remove your contacts from a campaign and the workflow, select Current campaign and workflow. Note: This element has no bottom connector. It’s not possible for your contacts to advance to any further element once they reach this point in the workflow.
Why does the statistics show 0 under COMPLETED even though all my contacts finished the workflow?
The “0 completed” statistics on the Manage automation workflows for a finished workflow means that everyone who was in the workflow “exited” it through the Remove contact element. They didn’t complete the workflow because they were removed from the workflow or account.