How can I make sure I am in compliance with CASL regulations?
On July 1st, 2014, there were some changes introduced to sending out emails to Canadian IP’s. You can read the act here:
GetResponse is a permission based email marketing platform and we are compliant with international legislation regarding email senders. Our anti-spam policies contain CASL rulings and we take such effort to keep GetResponse a spam and spammer free environment.
When it comes to details of CASL (Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation):
– information regarding the sender is kept in the footer of every email sent from GetResponse,
– we implement easy to use unsubscribe mechanism,
– we recommend using double opt-in subscription methods with webform and API integrations,
– we automatically take care of the unsubscribes, complaints and bounces.
If you want to ask your contacts to re-confirm their subscription in order to make sure you are in compliance with the CASL law you can do the following:
– Create a newsletter message under Messages>>Create Newsletter, in the subject state clearly what the message is for and turn on click through tracking
– In the content of the email explain clearly what the message is for and what action has to be taken, example:
“Due to the recent changes in the antispam law, we are asking you to confirm
your subscription with us. Please click the link below if you want to continue receiving messages from us “.
Make sure you add there a link that has to be clicked. It can be any link you want, the web site can say “thank you for re-confirming the subscription”. You can create it in the landing page editor.
After you send the message, wait a few days and then go to Contacts>>Search contacts. Click the “Advanced search” and “Add condition”. From the list choose “Link not clicked”, select the message and the link, display the contacts and delete the ones that did not complete the action. The FAQ on deleting contacts can be found here.
Note: If you used double opt-in with GetResponse you do not need to ask your contacts to re-confirm the subscription.